Sunday, July 24, 2011

TRAINED FOR THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN

"Every scribe who has been trained 
for the kingdom of heaven 
is like a householder 
who brings out of his treasure 
what is new and what is old."
(Matthew 13:52).

Solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil (Heb. 5:14). We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing (1 Cor. 2:6).

At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, "Ask what I shall give you" (1 Kgs. 3:5). And God said to him, "Because you have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you" (1 Kgs. 3:11-12).

We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the first-born among many brethren. And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified (Rom. 8:28-30).

Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly (1 Tim. 4:7). Reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ (Eph. 4:13). Leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God (Heb. 6:1).

The LORD is my portion; I promise to keep thy words (Ps. 119:57). The law of thy mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces (Ps. 119:72). Therefore I love thy commandments above gold, above fine gold (Ps. 119:127).

O LORD my God, give thy servant an understanding mind to govern thy people, that I may discern between good and evil; for who is able to govern this thy great people? (1 Kgs. 3:9)

The unfolding of thy words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple (Ps. 119:130). Thy testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them (Ps. 119:129).

Let thy steadfast love be ready to comfort me according to thy promise to thy servant. Let thy mercy come to me, that I may live; for thy law is my delight (Ps. 119:76-77). Therefore I direct my steps by all thy precepts; I hate every false way (Ps. 119:128).